Can't chill out

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
Gus

Post by Gus »

rockposer wrote:I guess seeing as it appears we've had our summer it won't be too much of an issue ;)
You cynic :D
CX-3, Sport Nav, Auto, Petrol, Soul Red Metallic, Half Stone Leather, Sep 2015 to Sep 2018.
CX-5, Sport Nav+, Auto, Petrol, Soul Red Crystal Metallic, Sep 2018.

anchorman

Post by anchorman »

We're supposed to be getting El Niño this year. Your tyres might melt.
CX-5 Sportnav diesel auto. AWD
Graham

Post by Graham »

Hi Folks,

The car was in the garage yesterday, so here is the update on my a/c.

The service manager said the a/c was working, but well below the level it should have been at, and would need to be fixed. Quite glad to hear that as I was concerned that it could be classed as working at the low end of acceptable parameters.
He said they had checked with Mazda Technical, but they had no known issues with the a/c unit on the CX-3.

The a/c unit was then connected to a machine to run some checks. I don't know what this machine looks like or does but I was told it could take up to 2 hours to complete the test. As it was it took about an hour.
It found that there was 8 grams of fluid missing, which is above what could be expected for natural loss, but also not enough of a loss to cause the unit to stop working.

So the Service Manager wants the car back in for a whole day so that they can try to find out what is going on. As he said if there is a leak then it is not a big one, which makes it much more difficult to trace, or there may be some other cause. It seems to be a puzzle.
Apparently they need to remove the nose cone to gain full access to the a/c unit.

Due to holidays intervening the car won't be going back into the garage till about mid June.
If they find the fault and a part is required then I doubt it would be in stock, which would mean the car having to go back in again when the part arrives.
I'm beginning to think I might get my a/c working again just as the summer ends. :(

I will keep you updated on any further developments.

Graham.
CX-3 Dynamic Blue SE-L 2.0l petrol manual.
anchorman

Post by anchorman »

Graham

Post by Graham »

That's interesting anchorman.
I will be sure to mention this when the car goes back in next month.
One of the US forum members said he was getting a strange noise from the a/c, but I certainly didn't hear anything from mine. Just no cold air.
Also the US forum talks about removing the dashboard for access, while my dealer was talking about removing the nose cone. I'm beginning to wonder if anyone knows what is going on ?
Deleted User 406

Post by Deleted User 406 »

anchorman wrote:I’m afraid Mazda UK aren’t talking to Mazda US........

http://www.cx3forum.com/forum/general-d ... no-ac.html

http://www.cx3forum.com/forum/general-d ... sound.html
There's always a case of burying head in sand in the hope the customer gives up.
anchorman

Post by anchorman »

Graham wrote:That's interesting anchorman.
I will be sure to mention this when the car goes back in next month.
One of the US forum members said he was getting a strange noise from the a/c, but I certainly didn't hear anything from mine. Just no cold air.
Also the US forum talks about removing the dashboard for access, while my dealer was talking about removing the nose cone. I'm beginning to wonder if anyone knows what is going on ?
I suppose it depends if it is the evaporator which is contained within the heater behind the dash. It might be that your dealer truly doesn't know what is wrong and is just generalising but I would have thought Mazda Technical should know about it. However, the evaporator is in the heater and apparently the US repair guys are getting at it from behind the glovebox. The problem is, we sit on the other side and it may not be possible on ours. Getting the heater out is a very big job - the heater will be one of the first items added to the bare shell in production so it will be close to last coming out. The condenser is the part your dealer is on about and looks like a radiator that sits behind the grill.

When it comes to radiators, you CX-3 diesel is quite proud and has six in total for various reasons and the two mentioned above could cause your problem.
Kiwi

Post by Kiwi »

Hi All

Brief update on the a/c issue after a visit to the main dealer service department today.

Fault found was due to a loss of a/c fluid caused by a leak on the condenser unit at the bottom front of the car. Interestingly it only took the mechanic less than 10 mins to let me know what the issue was after looking at the car (he seemed to know exactly where to look for the problem).
Bad news is it now needs a new one which has to be ordered and requires the cars bumper and front end to be stripped down to replace it which is a long job.

They also dont know how long this is going to take to get and then book in to replace as they are on back order - not impressed on a 8 month old car.........

Will be letting Mazda UK know how poor this situation has left me feeling.

Kiwi
Peter55

Post by Peter55 »

I would definitely speak to Mazda, it would be a shame if they take the front apart and then discover it needs an Evaporator like the other ones reported and then have to take the dashboard out
Sport Nav Petrol Auto Dynamic Blue
Armrest
Front Sensors
Graham

Post by Graham »

Hi Kiwi,

Sorry to hear about your a/c problem.
The only good thing seems to be that at least they know what the problem is in your case.

Mine was in for 2 hours and they want it back in for a whole day (talking about removing the nose cone) just to try and find out what the fault is.
If they do find the cause then I would imagine I will end up being in a similar situation as yourself in having to wait for parts on order.

Hopefully both our cars are fixed before the summer ends. :D

Graham.