Brakes

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
GARRYT

Post by GARRYT »

Anyone know if the brake calipers are shared with other Mazda models? I need new pads but not many manufacturers list them for the cx3 yet
Soul red D 2wd manual sport nav

anchorman

Post by anchorman »

Probably a 2 if anything but give me a day or two and I'll check.
CX-5 Sportnav diesel auto. AWD
GARRYT

Post by GARRYT »

Thanks
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

What's wrong with OEM?
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Greenman wrote:What's wrong with OEM?
Price, probably.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
GARRYT

Post by GARRYT »

And not as good as brands like brembo or ferodo
anchorman

Post by anchorman »

I spent 17 years developing and testing brakes for Ferodo.

I can tell you that the original pads will have been developed intensely on the specific vehicle. The pads may well turn out to be carried over from the 2 but that doesn't always work. The weight, construction and dynamics of one vehicle can make a big difference to the behaviour of the pads. They may turn out to be noisy on one but not the other. When you get to aftermarket pads, not all is what it seems. For instance, Brembo do not make pads, they buy them in and sell them on the name at a premium. I use Pagid in most cases because the aftermarket pads are based on Original Equipment materials. Would they behave on a CX3? Probably. It's surprising how tolerant pads can be and generally meet most requirements of an everyday driver but probably would not meet every manufacturer or legal requirement.

If you want to be sure, buy the Mazda ones but if not go for big name aftermarket - Ferodo, Pagid, Mintex, Textar, Jurid. Beware of unbranded or those that don't have a business in that sector. Blueprint for instance, box up copy air filters and brake pads. Who knows where they come from.
CX-5 Sportnav diesel auto. AWD
GARRYT

Post by GARRYT »

You've got more knowledge/experience than me then when it comes to the technology but I've always found an improvement by buying sport oriented pads like ferodo ds2500. Here in rural east Yorkshire the roads are twisty and you use your brakes a lot, I have easily cooked them on nearly every car I've owned until upgrading the pads. That said so far I haven't managed it on the cx3!